# #

Chapter 106—Collection of Solid Waste

106.01 Collection Service
106.02 Collection Vehicles
106.03 Loading
106.04 Frequency of Collection
106.05 Bulky Rubbish
106.06 Right of Entry
106.07 Contract Requirements
106.08 Collection Fees
106.09 Lien for Nonpayment
106.10 Property Owner’s Responsibility


The City shall provide by contract for the collection of solid waste, except bulky rubbish as provided in Section 106.05, from residential premises only. The owners or operators of commercial, industrial or institutional premises shall provide for the collection of solid waste produced upon such premises.


Vehicles or containers used for the collection and transportation of garbage and similar putrescible waste or solid waste containing such materials shall be leakproof, durable and of easily cleanable construction. They shall be cleaned to prevent nuisances, pollution or insect breeding and shall be maintained in good repair.
(IAC, 567-104.9[455B])

106.03 LOADING.

Vehicles or containers used for the collection and transportation of any solid waste shall be loaded and moved in such a manner that the contents will not fall, leak, or spill therefrom, and shall be covered to prevent blowing or loss of material. Where spillage does occur, the material shall be picked up immediately by the collector or transporter and returned to the vehicle or container and the area properly cleaned.


All solid waste shall be collected from residential premises at least once each week and from commercial, industrial and institutional premises as frequently as may be necessary, but not less than once each week.


Bulky rubbish which is too large or heavy to be collected in the normal manner of other solid waste may be collected by the collector upon request in accordance with procedures therefor established by the Council.


Solid waste collectors are hereby authorized to enter upon private property for the purpose of collecting solid waste therefrom as required by this chapter; however, solid waste collectors shall not enter dwelling units or other residential buildings.


No person shall engage in the business of collecting, transporting, processing or disposing of solid waste from residential premises for the City without first entering into a contract with the City. This section does not prohibit an owner from transporting solid waste accumulating upon premises owned, occupied or used by such owner, provided such refuse is disposed of properly in an approved sanitary disposal project. Furthermore, a contract is not required for the removal, hauling, or disposal of earth and rock material from grading or excavation activities, provided that all such materials are conveyed in tight vehicles, trucks or receptacles so constructed and maintained that none of the material being transported is spilled upon any public right-of-way.


The collection and disposal of solid waste as provided by this chapter are declared to be beneficial to the property served or eligible to be served and there shall be levied and collected fees therefor in accordance with the following:
(Goreham vs. Des Moines, 1970, 179 NW 2nd, 449)

  1. Fee for Collection. The fee for solid waste collection and disposal service, used or available, is $14.25 per month per residential premises.
  2. Landfill Assessment Fee. A landfill assessment fee of $3.75 per premises shall be charged to all accounts regardless of the volume of waste generated.
  3. Payment of Bills. All fees are due and payable under the same terms and conditions provided for payment of a combined service account as contained in Section 92.04 of this Code of Ordinances. Solid waste collection service may be discontinued in accordance with the provisions contained in Section 92.05 if the combined service account becomes delinquent, and the provisions contained in Section 92.08 relating to lien notices shall also apply in the event of a delinquent

The owner of the premises served and any lessee or tenant thereof are jointly and severally liable for fees for solid waste collection and disposal. Fees remaining unpaid and delinquent shall constitute a lien upon the premises served and shall be certified by the Clerk to the County Treasurer for collection in the same manner as property taxes.
(Code of Iowa, Sec. 384.84)


Property owners are required to notify City Hall of all “Change in Use” of their rental units. This must be done to ensure the rates are properly computed, especially in rental units where there is not a separate water meter for the rental unit. In the event the property owner fails to notify City Hall of the “Change in Use” of the rental unit and the change is discovered by the City, all charges will be retroactively enforced and billed to the property owner.