15.01 TERM OF OFFICE.
15.02 POWERS AND DUTIES.
The powers and duties of the Mayor are as follows:
- Chief Executive Officer. Act as the chief executive officer of the City and presiding officer of the Council, supervise all departments of the City, except for supervisory duties delegated to the City Administrator, give direction to department heads concerning the functions of the departments, and have the power to examine all functions of the municipal departments, their records and to call for special reports from department heads at any time. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 372.14)
- Proclamation of Emergency. Have authority to take command of the police and govern the City by proclamation, upon making a determination that a time of emergency or public danger exists. Within the City limits, the Mayor has all the powers conferred upon the Sheriff to suppress disorders. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 372.14)
- Special Meetings. Call special meetings of the Council when the Mayor deems such meetings necessary to the interests of the City. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 372.14)
- Mayor’s Veto. Sign, veto or take no action on an ordinance, amendment or resolution passed by the Council. The Mayor may veto an ordinance, amendment or resolution within fourteen days after passage. The Mayor shall explain the reasons for the veto in a written message to the Council at the time of the veto. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 380.5 & 380.6)
- Reports to Council. Make such oral or written reports to the Council as required. These reports shall concern municipal affairs generally, the municipal departments, and recommendations suitable for Council action.
- Negotiations. Represent the City in all negotiations properly entered into in accordance with law or ordinance. The Mayor shall not represent the City where this duty is specifically delegated to another officer by law, ordinance, or Council direction.
- Contracts. Whenever authorized by the Council, sign contracts on behalf of the City.
- Professional Services. Upon order of the Council, secure for the City such specialized and professional services not already available to the City. In executing the order of the Council, the Mayor shall act in accordance with the Code of Ordinances and the laws of the State.
- Licenses and Permits. Sign all licenses and permits which have been granted by the Council, except those designated by law or ordinance to be issued by another municipal officer.
- 1Nuisances. Issue written order for removal, at public expense, any nuisance for which no person can be found responsible and liable.
- 1Absentee Officer. Make appropriate provision that duties of any absentee officer be carried on during such absence.
The Mayor shall appoint the Mayor Pro Tem and the Mayor also appoints, with Council approval, the following officials:
(Code of Iowa, Sec. 372.4)
- Library Board of Trustees
- Park Board
- Pool Board
- Zoning Administrator
- Zoning Board of Adjustment
The Mayor is not a member of the Council and shall not vote as a member of the Council.
(Code of Iowa, Sec. 372.4)