For use in this chapter, the following terms are defined:
- “Owner” means the owner of the principal building.
- “Principal building” means the main building on any lot or subdivision thereof.
Every owner shall comply with the following numbering requirements:
- Obtain Building Number. The owner shall obtain the assigned number to the principal building from the Clerk. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 364.12[3d])
- Display Building Number. The owner shall place or cause to be installed and maintained on the principal building the assigned number in a conspicuous place to the street in figures not less than two and one-half (2½) inches in height and of a contrasting color with their background. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 364.12[3d])
- Failure to Comply. If an owner refuses to number a building as herein provided, or fails to do so for a period of thirty (30) days after being notified in writing by the City to do so, the City may proceed to place the assigned number on the principal building and assess the costs against the property for collection in the same manner as a property tax. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 364.12[3h])
Building numbers shall be assigned in accordance with the building numbering plan on file in the office of the Clerk.