22.01 PLANNING AND ZONING COMMISSION.
The City Planning and Zoning Commission, hereinafter referred to as the Commission, consists of five (5) members appointed by the Council. The Commission members shall be residents of the City and shall not hold any elective office in the City government.
(Code of Iowa, Sec. 414.6 & 392.1)
22.02 TERM OF OFFICE.
If any vacancy exists on the Commission caused by resignation, or otherwise, a successor for the residue of the term shall be appointed in the same manner as the original appointee.
(Code of Iowa, Sec. 392.1)
22.05 POWERS AND DUTIES.
The Commission shall have and exercise the following powers and duties:
- Selection of Officers. The Commission shall choose annually at its first regular meeting one of its members to act as Chairperson and another as Vice Chairperson, who shall perform all the duties of the Chairperson during the Chairperson’s absence or disability, and another member to act as Secretary. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 392.1)
- Adopt Rules and Regulations. The Commission shall adopt such rules and regulations governing its organization and procedure as it may deem necessary. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 392.1)
- Zoning. The Commission shall have and exercise all the powers and duties and privileges in establishing the City zoning regulations and other related matters and may from time to time recommend to the Council amendments, supplements, changes or modifications, all as provided by Chapter 414 of the Code of Iowa. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 414.6)
- Recommendations of Improvements. No statuary, memorial or work of art in a public place, and no public building, bridge, viaduct, street fixtures, public structure or appurtenances, shall be located or erected, or site therefor obtained, nor shall any permit be issued by any department of the City for the erection or location thereof until and unless the design and proposed location of any such improvement shall have been submitted to the Commission and its recommendations thereon obtained, except such requirements and recommendations shall not act as a stay upon action for any such improvement when the Commission after thirty (30) days’ written notice requesting such recommendations, shall have failed to file same. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 392.1)
- Review and Comment on Plats. All plans, plats, or re-plats of subdivision or re-subdivisions of land embraced in the City or adjacent thereto, laid out in lots or plats with the streets, alleys, or other portions of the same intended to be dedicated to the public in the City, shall first be submitted to the Commission and its recommendations obtained before approval by the Council. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 392.1)
- Review and Comment of Street and Park Improvements. No plan for any street, park, parkway, boulevard, traffic-way, river front, or other public improvement affecting the City plan shall be finally approved by the City or the character or location thereof determined, unless such proposal shall first have been submitted to the Commission and the Commission shall have had thirty (30) days within which to file its recommendations thereon. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 392.1)
- Fiscal Responsibilities. The Commission shall have full, complete and exclusive authority to expend for and on behalf of the City all sums of money appropriated to it, and to use and expend all gifts, donations or payments whatsoever which are received by the City for City planning and zoning purposes. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 392.1)
- Limitation on Entering Contracts. The Commission shall have no power to contract debts beyond the amount of its original or amended appropriation as approved by the Council for the present year. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 392.1)
- Annual Report. The Commission shall each year make a report to the Mayor and Council of its proceedings, with a full statement of its receipts, disbursements and the progress of its work during the preceding fiscal year. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 392.1)