56.01 ANNUAL LICENSE REQUIRED.
- Every owner of a dog over the age of six (6) months shall procure a dog license from the City on or before the first day of March of each year or within thirty (30) calendar days of the dog being brought into the City.
- Such license may be procured after March 1 and at any time for a dog which has come into the possession or ownership of the applicant or which has reached the age of five (5) months after said date.
- The owner of a dog for which a license is required shall apply to the City on forms provided by the City.
- The form of the application shall state the breed, sex, age, color, markings, and name, if any, of the dog, and the address of the owner and shall be signed by the owner. The application shall also state the date of the most recent rabies vaccination, the type of vaccine administered and the date the dog shall be revaccinated.
- All licenses shall expire on March 1 of the year following the date of issuance.
All license fees shall become delinquent on the first day of May of the year in which they are due and a delinquent penalty of fifty cents ($.50) per month shall be added to each unpaid license on and after said date in addition to the annual license fee.
Upon issuance of the license, the City shall deliver or mail to the owner a license which shall be in the form of a metal tag stamped with:
- The serial number of the license as shown on the record book of the City;
- The year in which it is issued;
- The name of the City.
This tag shall be a permanent tag for the life of the dog. The license tag shall be securely fastened by the owner to a collar or harness which shall be worn at all times by the dog for which issued. A license issued for one dog shall not be transferable to another dog. Upon the expiration of the license, the owner shall remove said tag from the dog.
Upon payment of the license fee, the City shall issue to the owner a copy of the license containing the following:
- The serial number and date of each application for a license.
- The call name and description of the dog as specified in the application, together with the name of the owner of the dog.
- The date when each license tag is issued and the serial number of each tag, the date of the most recent rabies vaccination, the type of vaccine administered, and the date the dog shall be revaccinated.
- The amount of all fees paid.
- Such other data as may be required by law.
Before a license is issued, the owner shall furnish a veterinarian’s certificate showing that the dog for which the license is sought has been vaccinated against rabies, and that the vaccination does not expire within six (6) months from the effective date of the dog license. A tag showing evidence of proper vaccination shall at all times be attached to the collar of the dog. In order to take advantage of the lower rate for spayed and neutered dogs, the owner shall, at the time application is made for a dog license, present a certificate of spaying or neutering signed by a veterinarian containing a description of the animal, its call name and date of spaying or neutering, if known. Such certificate may be used in subsequent license applications.
56.07 DUPLICATE TAGS.
Upon the filing of an affidavit that the license tag has been lost or destroyed, the owner may obtain another tag on the payment of two dollars ($2.00) and the new license number assigned shall be recorded by the City.
56.08 TRANSFERS OF LICENSED DOGS.
Upon transfer of a licensed dog into the City, the new owner shall, within thirty (30) calendar days from the date of change of ownership, make an application for a new license regardless of whether or not the dog was previously registered and the previous owner shall surrender the original license tag to the City for proper disposal.
56.09 KENNEL DOGS.
Dogs kept in State or Federally licensed kennels, pursuant to the Code of Iowa, as amended, which are kept or raised solely for the bona fide purpose of sale and which are kept under constant restraint, are not subject to the provisions of this chapter.